I have never heard about buy nothing day until it was discussed in class, and when first hearing about it I thought no way it can that be true. I wasn’t present for that discussion in class, but after hearing about the assignment I knew I had to do research to get a better understanding because personally my first thought was how Americans consume way too much to actually go through with buy nothing day. After doing a lot of research on this specific day, I learned that it is mostly based on the fact that people don’t really pay attention to how much they consume can really effect the environment...and overall how spending money buying things isn’t always what life should be based on. This is an idea that American’s really don’t seem to notice, so I don’t see how this day can actually be very successful. Buying nothing at all, just doing nothing for the economy and yourself, seems like a big task for people.
On this particular day, I didn’t support buy nothing day! Because I went out and bought items that I seriously needed (not wanted) such as new mouse for my computer, and a new lamp for my bedroom. From seeing hundreds of people out shopping in the same area I was in, I can tell that buy nothing day probably really didn’t matter to a lot of individuals. Even though I didn’t support this day, I can see why it was created because the years I supported it(unknowingly) it felt so much more relaxing. I didn’t have to scramble through things in order to find what I wanted, and look for items underneath hundreds of other times...which can get very annoying after while. Many people may say that this shows the greedy side of Americans(going out on a day where your suppose to buy nothing), but to me it really doesn’t. Its just people going out shopping to get their moneys worth off of an item, so for the people who say this..does it make you greedy when you go out and buy things on any other day?
Black Friday and buy nothing day shows the weird ways Americans think. One day people go out of their way to go bargain shopping, trampling over people killing them...but then on another note many people want to decide not to buying anything at all. Make up your mind! Its just a big contradiction of one another. Or maybe is just shows the different views of different Americans It supports the fact that Americans are different and how it cannot be only one definition of all Americans lives.