Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My health care

Kiana cornish

I never really thought about my own health care because when ever I went to the hospital or the doctors office I just thought “okay im here and Im going to get checked out.” Even though I knew it wasn’t free, I didn’t think that my mother or father were paying a lot of money when the medical bill comes. Maybe this is because I never hear my mother complain about the bill being high, or even speak about paying any bills related to medical reasons. The last two times I went to the hospital for a stitches on my finger, I had to wait around 45 minutes to see a doctor. While waiting there was a man who could barely breathe and kept getting up to walk to see when he can be helped. It was sad to watch him suffer and not seek immediate help, because I know that if he were rich than he would probably have saw a doctor as soon as he went into the hospital. My older sister and I have medicare right now, I remember having GHI but my mother chose to change because the cost was too high.. One thing that sometimes see when going to the doctor is when the doctor prescribes me a medicine or cream, my mother often has to pay extra money out of her pocket because the insurance doesn’t completely cover the cost. I often don’t go to the doctor when ever I feel sick, but only when there is a emergency or when I need to go for check ups. I feel as if I were to go to the doctor when ever I get a stomach ache or a bad headache I would definitely begin to hear my mother complaining about medical bills. This is probably one of the reasons why America doesnt have universal health care and why countries that do sometimes have issues with it because it may seem as if people abuse it. I definitely believe that the people in sicko have a harder life than I do when it comes to seeking medical attention because I am actually able to get medical help, but them on the other hand barely receive any medical help at all in many cases.