Thursday, May 7, 2009

DRAFT #2: Grocery and Habitual Food

During class we discussed the different foods that we consume in a typical week. From the list provided with different types of foods ranging from fruits to meat...there were about 30 different fruits, meats, nuts and grains that I eat weekly. The main reason for it being so much was because of the amount of fruit that I eat. My weekly eats included: Rice, potatoes, carrots, garlic, lemon, onions, red beans, wheat, mango, pineapple, banana, kiwi, grapes, apples, plums, grapefruit, lemon, olives, cucumber, tomato, broccoli, strawberry, celery, yams, lettuce, corn, mushrooms, asparagus, cashews and cabbage. Mostly the fruits that I buy are form fairway and often from Pathmark...but at times those fruits seem to be a bit old so often I have to pick through them and choose the one that I believe looks the safest to eat.

In class we questioned whether or the students with the higher amount of these foods eating in a typical week, were the healthier students. A student named Melanie stated that this probably meant that they were healthier because they were eating more fruits and more wheat than other students. I agreed with this to a certain point being that I was one of the students along the higher range of these foods in my weekly diet. I believe from my own situation that even though I eat a lot of these foods very frequently, I still do not see myself as a healthy eater. I eat a lot of candy, and fast food...which wouldn’t be considered too healthy.

I believe that if I were to make list the food that I would eat in a typical week around this time last year...the list would be a lot shorter. This shows the pattern in my eating because while growing up I would eat a lot of these foods that would be considered healthy, around middle schools years to the beginning of last year I stopped eating so much of these foods, but now im back the way I use to be...which is eating less candy and junk...and drinking plenty of water.

A question that I think plays a major role in the way we eat, is how we can increase our enjoyment of food and the best ways for family to enjoy wide varieties of food? I believe a way that this can happen is for families to come up with a regular eating plan. When they eat, how they eat and what they eat, or different members of the family picking a meal every now and then and trying foods that each individuals likes. This can change peoples food habits in a major way. The downfall to this is that many families don’t have the same schedule and time to put this plan into motion being that some parents work late, some students have extracurricular activities in which they get home late and have to do homework then after that are probably to tired to do these things. These situations such as getting home late are the reasons to why many families don’t eat dinner together or engage in many things together which connects to food. In result of this, people tend to have different eating habits than other members of their family.

In class we discussed about how peoples eating habits can be a result of how they were raised to eat as a child...in my case this doesn’t seem to be so true. My eating habits as a child were much healthier than it seems to be now. I always ate breakfast in the morning, which doesnt happen too often now and didn’t eat as much junk food as I do now. Reflecting back on how I ate as a child shows me that by my parents having the majority control of the things I ate, helped me to eat healthier. Now that they don’t have much control over the things I eat, my eating habits have changed...but even though this is true...my eating habits as a child tend to creep up into my eating habits now, I guess in a way the way I ate when I was young has some type of influence to how I eat now.

While viewing others blogs in different sectonis, I came across a point that I think was very interesting. Chloe hillman stated how she realized how much frozen food products there were in supermarkets. This interest me that someone else noticed this also because since I was young I’ve noticed how strange or even amazing it is that most meals can be bought frozen. Its like you thaw it out, pop it in the oven or even the microwave and there it its...a “home cooked meal.”
Chicken, pasta, etc things that would be considered in a home cooked meal can be bought in a frozen package and easily prepared. This goes back to the fact of food being easy and convenient made...which makes them to popular to the consumers.

I have never really realized that grocery stores push particular types of products, but now that I have paid attention to this while grocery shopping I’ve realized that this is somewhat true. In the grocery store around my neighborhood (Ctown) it seems to push junk foods such as chipahoys for sale, oreo cookies and glazed donuts. These are the foods that are displayed with big signs as soon as you enter the supermarket. This didn’t seem to surprise me because I believe that if they were to push more organic or healthier foods than it probably wouldn’t sell and make them much money because of the way people that live around here tend to eat. This is a smart thing for them to do by pushing the less healthy foods because these are the foods that sale the fastest in this particular grocery store because these junk foods are the ones that are in demand by the people in my neighborhood.

When visit a local grocery store around the carroll garden area of Brooklyn, when first entering there was a section with only organic foods. This helped me to believe that the people in this area probably gravitate towards more organic foods than junk foods. Walking around the store, I can honestly say that their wasn’t any type of junk food that I have saw in the grocery store around my way. There weren’t any chipsahoy, oreos or any type of donuts to be found in this store. This shows me that grocery stores probably push certain products due to the fact of the ones that are in most demand by the residents of that particular area.

Overall, I believe that as I get older my eating habits would get a lot better. There is no real reasons for me to believe this but personally it just feels as if Im breaking out of the habit of eating junk food and more into the habit of eating things that are good for my body.