When reading this chapter I found that one of the most interesting facts was the way society used their own people to build numerous amounts of statues. They didn’t have animals and no industrialization. This made a point that without these things they were still able to build things, but now in days nothing is made without machinery, animals and overall different forms of technology.
I connected this to the postal business. In numerous post offices across the city, talk about replacing workers with robots is being debated upon. This seems so ironic to actually have robots replacing workers , because usually more experienced individuals take the jobs of those who are less experienced…or people are willing to take less pay. I also connected this to Easter Island because it makes a point that individuals are replaced with technology and animals. Personally I believe that this is a valid point. The postal situation shows that this is actually true, because of the robots being able to produce the same quality of work that are done by human beings. Its like technology is taking over everything. This shows similarities because the collapse of Easter Island took place because of competition, social issues and overall changes in the environment.
The islanders didn’t have access to metal tools or technology therefore I believe that it is a way for we as Americans to live without technology. We depend so much on the use of machinery, but if these people can do things with just their hands...than I know we can also. This is another connection between the two
Competition between America and Iraq is something that can pull us down overall as a country. Also the competition between jobs is something that workers and people trying to find work go through everyday. Political issues and government scams also can play a part in the collapse, and the fact that pollution is a big issue in America adds to it also.
"Thanks to globalization, international trade, jet planes, and the internet, all countries on Earth today share resources and affect each other, just as did Easter's dozen clans" (Collapse - Page 13).
This quote basically helps me to imply that the same way the Easter Island collapsed, the United States is also at risk for collapsing.