Monday, June 1, 2009

Industrial Food

Animal cruelty response:

I often hear about the cruelty done to animals, and the harsh things that they put through all because of the need for us humans to eat. Although I have seen many examples of this happening, I personally still haven’t made the choice in my life to go vegetarian. One thing that a lot is “don’t eat too much beef it isn’t good for u, eat chicken.” Never did I think about the increase of how many birds will die if individuals decided to eat more chicken. “As more and more people are switching from beef to poultry, the number of birds raised and killed for meat is sky-rocketing. More than 8 billion "broiler" (meat-type) chickens and over 270 million turkeys are slaughtered each year in the United States.” This is a fact that I came across when reading “Chicken and Turkeys: Bred for pain” In the video it stated that chickens are probably the most abused animals on the face of the planet. Hearing these unpleasant facts about what happens to these different animals not only shows me many of us Americans don’t really care about the things that are done to animals, we don’t think about what goes into making the food that we eat everyday….the only thing we think about is eating instead the pain the animals had to endure in order for us to be eating that specific food.

It was disgusting to hear how animals are genetically made bigger, by being giving antibiotics that make them larger. Because of this they die of heart attacks, legs are not able to hold the weight, hearts, lungs and legs often break down because of this. How would humans like it if we were given antibiotics to make us larger and make us gain weight that we weren’t naturally suppose to have? This would cause an outrage across America, so why isn’t it causing such an up roar when its about animals? These chickens are being beaten with a metal rod while alive and breathing, they are experiencing crucial pain that no one should have to go through. Watching this allows me to think what If this was happening to my dog? What if my dog was being beaten and abused just to make food. I would definitely have a problem with this and would do something about it, but I guess just because its animals that im distant with and not very knowledgeable about than I do nothing about the harsh acts that these animals go through. This is just the reality of how many Americans look at these situations. I didn’t finish watching the entire video because this was just something that was very disturbing to watch.

Industrial food isn’t cheap:

The belief that industrial food is cheap is addressed in this piece of writing. It states that “The truth: If you added the real cost of industrial food -- its health, environmental, and social costs -- to the current supermarket price, not even our wealthiest citizens could afford to buy it”

The message that I took from this article was that the cost of industrial food isn’t as cheap as we think it is and how individuals should pay more attention to farming and healthy foods...it shouldn’t matter the cost of the food because even thought it might cost more the effects that it has on our body and we as humans wouldn’t be as harmful as the effect that industrial foods would have. This idea really stands out to me because I do believe that even though something may cost more, a price shouldn’t be put on your health. If there is a burger for 2 dollars that can potentially harm your body, and another burger for 5 dollars that wouldn’t harm you....which burger should you choose? Many people would choose the first burger because its cheaper, but the idea that choosing the healthier burger for more money should be broadcasted because it is overall the better food choice health wise.People who choose the cheaper burgers are mainly the supporters of fast food, cheap and easy food. Food that would fill you up and leave you feeling satisfied...but food that isn’t a good when related to your health.