Saturday, February 14, 2009

Natural Vs. Normal Birth

Personally I think that when I have a child I would be more likely want to have a natural birth instead of a normal birth. Even though normal births seem to be more common and more convenient, it seems to interfere with the idea of love while giving birth. I was confused on the whole concept of normal and natural births in the beginning, it seemed as if they were the same thing to me. When learning more on the two kinds of birth, I found that a normal birth consist of medical professionals, drugs such as epidermal’s and Pitocin, loud noises from the pain, fetal heart monitor, and a lot of steal instruments. During a natural birth there are loved ones that are gathered around, no drugs, sometimes kissing and caressing the woman’s body, and most of all it is women centered. All of the attention is focused on the women, oppose to a normal birth where the attention is centered on the doctor delivering the baby. I am sure that many people who have children aren’t very aware about natural birth, it is something that I barely hear about. This is because it isn’t practiced much in hospitals, where most births take place. But why cant natural births occur there as much as normal births do? Maybe because doctors want to deliver the baby as fast as possible, get the job done...and go home. With everything that Natural birth comes with, I believe that many doctors would oppose it.

When learning about normal and natural births, It seems to me as if natural births arent as dangerous as normal births. Without all the technology and drugs, It is a known fact that the baby will not come out as “high” as some babies would who’s mother have been injected with all different kinds of sedatives. Even though this may be true, most women still decide to have normals births because they aren’t aware of what it can do to their child, being that they put all of their trust into the doctor and he tells them that it will only make them feel better and it will not harm the child. Also women may choose it because it isn’t as painful as having a natural birth. The whole process of a normal birth doesn’t seem as loving as a normal birth because the baby is taken away right after the mom gives birth, but it seems so common and happens to frequently that it isn’t looked at as wrong or unloving. Even though I connect more with the idea of having a natural birth, I may end up having a normal birth just as many other American moms, because it is what I am accustomed to and what seems more within my reach.